How do I Schedule a Special Certificate Hearing? If you are seeking information on how to schedule a Special Certificate Hearing with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you undoubtedly have received notification in the mail that the DMV is acting to refuse, suspend, or revoke your Special Certificate to operate a specialized vehicle. You should have no confusion over what the DMV is doing. If you have received the “Order of Refusal/Suspension/Revocation” the DMV is telling you that your Special Certificate is being taken away. The DMV fully intends to strip you of your Special Certificate to operate a specialized vehicle. The only way to reverse this action is to schedule, conduct, and win a Special Certificate Hearing.
The Notice of Refusal/Suspension/Revocation received in the mail will document the reason for the action, the effective date of the action, and the fact that you have a right to a hearing. To schedule a Special Certificate Hearing you must make contact with the Driver Safety Headquarters in Sacramento. The law mandates specified periods of time during which a driver must make this initial contact. This time frame is established at 10, 14, or 15 days, depending upon the type of Special Certificate involved or the reason for the action. The law further mandates that all requests for Special Certificate Hearings be made in writing. To properly schedule a Special Certificate Hearing, a driver must:
- Take immediate action to ensure that a proper, written, request for Special Certificate Hearing is received by the proper division of the DMV in Sacramento.
- Request that the hearing be convened at a Driver Safety Office of the driver’s choosing. In some instances it may be in your best interest to schedule your hearing at a location that is known for being more “friendly” to Special Certificate holders.
- Make every effort to ensure your case is assigned to a favorable Hearing Officer.
- Consider filing a request to “Stay” the suspension or revocation of the Special Certificate. The DMV has a practice of refusing a request to stay the suspension or revocation of a Special Certificate without a foundational finding that the driver’s continued operation of a specialized vehicle will not endanger the public.
- Back up any and all communication with the DMV in writing. It is common for the DMV to misplace information or forget conversations. Things will often “fall through the cracks” and if you are unable to prove your timely communication with the DMV you can end up losing your right to a hearing.
The best possible course of action for anyone seeking to protect their Special Certificate is to contact the DMV Experts at California Drivers Advocates. We are ready to immediately step into the driver’s seat and begin guiding your case toward victory. Call us now. We’re ready to help.
What Happens if I Fail to Schedule a Special Certificate Hearing?
Remember, the Notice of Refusal/Suspension/Revocation you received in the mail is not the DMV’s suggestion they MAY take your Special Certificate. The DMV has just put you on notice that they ARE taking your Special Certificate. End of story!
This is an administrative action authorized by the California Vehicle Code. It is perfectly legal for the DMV to seize your Special Certificate with little or no evidence to support the action. By sending you the Notice of Refusal/Suspension/Revocation, the DMV is challenging you to show them why the action is not warranted.
If you fail to schedule a Special Certificate Hearing, the only person who loses is you. Don’t let this happen. Call CDA now!
- Loss of Driver’s License
- Increased Automobile Insurance
- Inability to Work & Provide Income
Let us Schedule Your Special A Certificate Hearing For You.
If the DMV is moving to strip you of your Special Certificate, it is critically important that you react immediately and with great care. If your career depends on keeping your Special Certificate, you simply can’t afford to make mistakes. The DMV Defense Experts at California Drivers Advocates have been scheduling, conducting and winning Special Certificate Hearings for years. There is no substitute for experience. Call CDA immediately and let us step in to begin your defense.